Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Bharli Vangi (Brinjals stuffed with coconut & peanut masala)

Chennai has been my home since my birth. I never imagined moving out from the wonderful, though hot city even in my dreams.

Marriage brought me to Pune (Maharashtra). A small cosmopolitan city with a very beautiful climate. Initially I hated this city, but slowly I explored and some where we both struck a chord :) :) Love this city to very bit that I'm almost 3 years old. 

Maharashtrian cuisine is very bold and spicy. The vivid red colour in the garlic chutney, the white white solkadhi and the famous bharli vangi. Bharli vangi is stuffed brinjals and I accompanied it with rice and baat (dal). 


What you need:
  1. Brinjals - slit at the bottom and leave the stem as it is.
  2. Red chilli powder - 2 tsp
  3. Grated coconut - 4 tbsp
  4. Peanuts - 3 tbsp
  5. Cumin powder - 1 tsp
  6. Goda masala (a maharashtrian masala) 3 tsp (if you don't want this or don't like this use the regular garam masala)
  7. Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
  8. Curry leaves - a few
  9. Salt - taste
  10. Jaggery - 1 tbsp
  11. Tamarind paste - 1 tbsp
  12. Oil - 2 tbsp

How to go about it:
  1. Clean the brinjals, and slit them, but leaving the umbrella intact.
  2. Dry roast coconut and peanuts and make a paste.
  3. Now, mix all the dry spices with the coconut, peanut paste and stuff them into the brinjals and keep them for sometime.
  4. Heat oil in a pan, add the curry leaves and mustard seeds. 
  5. Now add the brinjals with the masala. Add little water and cook for a few minutes.
  6. Now add the jaggery and the tamarind and cook again until the brinjals are cooked fully.
  7. Serve with rice or roti.
Njoy with your loved ones...

Luv

Champa




No comments:

Post a Comment