Friday, May 4, 2012

Podi Thakkali Kozhambu (Tomatoes in spicy gravy/sambar)

Sometimes, cooking after returning home from a hectic working schedule can be grueling. Now, since I've started working, now I've learnt a lot of quick recipes that are easy and doesn't take a hell lot of time to make. But beware!!!! they are very tasty!!! :) :) :) :)



So this is one such recipe, that I really liked. I had made Idly batter morning and allowed to ferment. Then I totally forgot that, I saw this recipe on TV from a famous person Mrs. Revathy Shanmugam.


So yesterday, when I saw the Idly batter, wowwy!!! it was such good thing to see!!! Lets go go...

You will need:


Spice Powder:

  1. Cumin seeds (Jeera) - 1/2 tsp
  2. Pepper - 1/2 tsp
  3. Fenugreek seeds (Vendayam) - 1/2 tsp
  4. Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
  5. Channa Dal - 1 tsp
  6. Toor Dal - 1 tsp
For the Kozhambu:
  1. Onions - 1 no. (finely chopped)
  2. Tomatoes - 2 nos. (finely chopped)
  3. Curry Leaves 
  4. Mustard seeds
  5. Salt - to taste
  6. Tamarind pulp - 1/3 cup
  7. Oil

How to go about it:
  1. Heat a pan and dry roast jeera, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, pepper, channa dal & toor dal till fragrant.
  2. Allow it to cool and make a dry powder.
  3. Heat oil and sizzle the mustard seeds and curry leaves.
  4. Add onions and fry until they are soft.
  5. Add the tomatoes and fry again till both combines well.
  6. Now add salt and tamarind pulp and add water. Bring the mixture to a boil.
  7. Add the spice powder and simmer it for 5 mins.
  8. Serve hot with idly's,dosa's and they taste great with rice too!!!
Njoy with ur loved ones....

Luv 

Sindhu 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sindhu,
    Looks delicious and I was wondering what I was going to make for dosas today. Of course, your podi thakkali kuzhambu. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sindhu,
    It was really aromatic and the fenugreek seeds which I roasted, brought out the flavour very well. And in the end before switching the stove off, I added a little jaggery. My hub liked it so much and we had it with godhuma dosai.

    ReplyDelete